Monday, February 1, 2010

What Should I Do?

I was told i don't look my age again. Should I be offended?

I was talking to someone about something and they asked how old I was and then they said "u don't act ur age".
L:-it could mean either your act older then your age, or you act younger then your age. but i think it depends what the conversation was about and what was said. it doesnt always mean a bad thing!
Herb:
When someone says, "Act your age," it almost always means, "Act older than you really are."
Regardless, whatever you were speaking to the person about was pointless as they judged you before listening to what you had to say.
Brian:
I agree with h. ^
Liz:
I seem to always take it as I don't act old enough (mature). So it discorages me in life cuz when I'm trying and still get this, then I dk what to do.
Liz:He was tellin me y he doesn't seem like this girl would make a good manager.
Liz: Now my other question is, is it that i look young and since ppl c that they judge that and so if i act kinda younger it has that effect and so they combine it. i know this is a bad explaination. Meaning do i seem to act younger because i look younger. Alright ppl i need on how to act older/ my age. i will deal with looking older later. is it because im nopt confident, i dont take charge, im not like loud and outgoing always?
Es: Take it as a compliment. it is better to act younger than your age than to act older than your age. nobody likes a whiny old lady.
Liz: That might b tru but how things have been going lately I have to act like a mature take charge woman and idk how to do that.
Ben: my insight might be dated ... since the last time we hung out was several years ago. but i remember you used to talk a mile a minute and use the word "like" alot, sort of like in that movie "clueless" but not as bad. i dunno if you still do that sort of stuff but perhaps talking with people at a more even tone and calm pace would peg you someone more our age instead of someone younger.
Jay:Stay young as long as you can. Sure, on the job you gotta be bossy an stuff but when you're with friends, act like the goofiest retard you know. I've see old people that are young inside, and young people that are old inside. Which do you wanna be?
Herb: Was this a professional colleague telling you to act older, or a person on the street?
Liz:Thanks Ben. I do still do both of those. The "like" is a terrible habit i cant seem to break. i also do talk a mile a minute but ive been working on that more.
Liz: Pro.
Nav:Learning how to act professionally and take charge when need be is a process. You don't just pick up on it instantaneously.
I don't think you're in danger of acting 'too grown up' :-P. It's good to be able to act professionally when you want to. Maybe next time you come across a situation like that ask for advice on what you should work on (if it's appropriate).
Nav:I ♥ ur vagueness... 'to someone about something' :-P you're so mysterious!
Liz:Well no one here knows who that someone is and i really dont remember what we was talking about. It was random small talk but when he said that he wouldnt want that girl to b a manager it just made me think in general about myself. How am i similar to her? Different? I haven't known her that long but some things just get a person thinking.
Liz:Tzvi, I understand what ur saying and i wanna b me when im with friends but i want to start on some steps in the direction of being a more mature- ppl will trust me with more-iim not a younglin-etc.
Liz: There is a lot more to this story but as of now i cant say. There are some things not everyone is allowed to know so im going to just need advice based on my generalizations.

1 comment:

  1. From what I gathered, whoever told you to "act your age" must have been someone from a professional environment. From what I gathered in your blog, I *think* it might mean to take charge and approach people in a professional manner/level. I was told once to act my age and i took it as a slap in the face. I realized I can't always be that cute/chipper girl but I have to blend in with other people that have a stick up their ass. I never took it as a compliment but I took it as a reality check.
    I hope this didn't offend you and I am basing it off your blog. Plus, I don't know you well enough to judge.

    ReplyDelete